Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in Macau

So on Thanksgiving Day I bunked off classes and went to meet our domestic helper in Macau. Jacky, our Filipina maid couldn't get another visa to return to China so I was meeting her to give her plane fare to return home. I'd never been to Macau before, but it is an hour ferry ride from the port 5min from my apartment.
As we left the port, I could see my apartment complex(small whitish ones) the Shenzhen Bay Bridge to Hong Kong and the distant skinny high rise apartments of the Ha Tsuen neighborhood in Hong Kong, barely visible through the suffocating South China smog.

As I rode the ferry I got to see the industrial side of Hong Kong: gas banks, electric power stations, and the oyster beds of the Pearl River Delta. I passes many container ships heading all over the world; Panama, Los Angeles, Hamburg, Sydney, Columbia etc. I waxed philosophical about all the things humanity has accomplished and yet the tender thread that we still hang by. A situation that was at the front of my mind since the bombing in South Korea two days prior. We have done so much, I live in a place that sends products to all ends of the earth at record speed, but malaria still kills children; millions per year, and no matter what we will grow, love, age and die. Somber I know, but the power and the beauty of all we have done is a result of our fear of mortality. We want to do so much, make so many things, experience more and more, create more and more, because we all know our time is finite.
Out of my thoughtful mood, I arrived in Macau for the first time - breezed through immigration and met Jacky our maid. We at lunch/dinner at the Sands Macau, I had sushi for Thanksgiving day. And I saw a Michael Jackson impersonation concert. I missed my first ferry trip, so I bought the next departure, and found a toy store in the ferry terminal!
Optimus Prime!!!
Star Wars Legos!
and Board Games!



silly I know, but I don't get to see things like Harry Potter Clue and Pirates of the Caribbean Life everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment