Friday, August 6, 2010

silver lining

last night there was a good old tropical thunderstorm.
My Mom and I were waiting for our bus to take us home from the school. After almost 30min our bus still hadn't come, even though it typically runs every 8min. So we are trying to get a taxi and there are no taxis available, finally a nice man in a really nice car stopped to offer us a ride for pay. We negotiated a price and got in, I had quite a mangled and labored conversation with him, but a conversation nonetheless. He was really nice and we were in traffic for a long time so we figure out what each other were saying eventually. The best part was, he put this DVD on about the life of Christ and put it in English so we could watch it. He pointed to himself saying he was a Christian and asked if we were, and I said yes. We watched the video for awhile, and I learned the word for river and baptize. But I managed to take a short video of this experience on my phone, it is sideways however....because I've never used the camcorder on my phone before and I didn't know which way to hold it.

you know, this week I started loving China, it hit me as I was riding the bus to work earlier in the week and even though I still get frustrated at the school and at the gypsy cabs that try to rip me off, this car ride sealed the deal. It was a beautiful sweet 25min, in which three people connected.
The problem with loving China now, is that I don't get mad and frustrated and prejudiced at the Chinese now...I get attached, and sad for them in this awful condescending way instead.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we Americans need to remember God loves us all. Even the Chinese.

    ReplyDelete