Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ugly food

I have embarked on an odyssey of making ugly delicious food for a little while(stay tuned for green smoothies!) Sunday I had made crockpot split-pea soup.  I was a bit disappointed in it, so I didn't post about it.  I saved the leftovers for another day.  Today was the day, it was cold and rainy(finally!) so I busted out the leftovers and thought...well, I definitely need to make it better this time around.
Sunday I didn't have any carrots when I threw the soup into the slow cooker, so I committed a cardinal sin of aromatic omission.  I correct this by added some cubed sautéed carrots, heavy cream and a healthy fingerful of extra sharp cheddar cheese at the end.  The result was astounding.
Serve with toast rye bread(Jewish style, not Russian)
this can be made dairy free by substituting non-dairy sour cream and non-dairy cheese and omitting the butter.  Forego the bread for a gluten free meal!



Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
1lb. dried split peas
ugly lookin thing...
6cups chicken stock
6 slices of bacon cut small and fried crispy, set aside
one red onion diced
two stalks of celery chopped
three garlic cloves minced
one large carrot or two normal, diced
half of a fuji apple chopped

Aussie Cheddar I use all the time
in the bacon grease, saute the onion, celery and carrots until soft, then add the garlic for about 2min
add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
When it's ready to eat, stir in some salt, pepper and two tablespoons or so of heavy cream or sour cream and a tablespoon of butter.
serve with shredded cheddar cheese and rye bread

3 comments:

  1. I am so making this. And my coworker (who eats your recipe for roasted root veggies at least once a week) wants that green smoothie recipe NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ektizel, I just went through your recipe endeavors and your dishes remind me of when I was first married. I was making the most gourmet delicious dishes (or at least attempting to). The state of my current cooking frenzy: Jared's lucky to get 1-3 cooked meals from me in a week.

    I am sooo pathetic. I go through phases and my "I'm not interested in cooking" phase has lasted almost two years ... poor man.

    I do have to say though, we have healthy meals of the chopped variety. Basically, if I don't actually have to cook it, we'll eat it. I justify these meals by saying we're going "raw" and that's better anyway, right? ... Perhaps I should hire you as our chef one day should you ever want a break from your uber cool life and make a pittance in our kitchen.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I don't have to cook, so therefore it is enjoyable.
      You're not pathetic, you're a working woman on a budget :)
      As for raw diet...I don't agree with it as a lifestyle choice, but I think as a dieting choice it is smart.
      I have green smoothies for breakfast which can be raw at times, when I don't add old cooked oatmeal or previously steamed edamame.
      Amanda, take heart - I'm sure you make your Jared happy in other ways than in his stomach ;)

      Delete