Friday, December 2, 2011

Taiwan at a Glance

I went to Taiwan for a little less than four days. I went to attend a Single Adult conference for my church. I met a lot of AMAZING people, at fantastic food, and I left wanting to see more of Taiwan. Within 24 hours of being in Taiwan I saw people being pulled over for speeding on the freeway, rest stops with western toilets and free toilet paper, and a McDonald's menu with apple slices and a bagels with Cream Cheese. It's like another world across the Formosa Strait. I met people that knew about Minneapolis because of the Minnesota Twins baseball team!! As I participated in the Conference I met people of fantastic faith, and I strengthened my own determination to life righteous principles.
Along with me assigned team I engaged in a service project, cleaning at an experimental school. As I spent time in the surroundings, I realized the difficulties that many of the students their must face. How they are highly dependent on others to engage in rudimentary activities. It helped put into sharp focus that I am not really different from them, I too depend on many people(many unknown) to meet my families' needs and my own. Our world is so connected. The more independent and metropolitan we are...actually the more dependent and helpless we are in times of crisis. When cities loose electricity or become isolated due to weather or any other catastrophe it is painfully obvious how dependent and useless many of the "modern conveniences" are without electricity or access to clean water. I love that we need to engage in serving our neighbors, whoever they are to truly learn their worth and our own. Only by truly giving do we receive.
When I was in Taiwan, I was able to spend time with people that are of the same faith. This not only gave me renewed strength and love for my God, but a stronger desire to serve those around me and be a better example. Many find the life choices I make weird, unnecessary or old fashioned. But I can say without a doubt that they make me happier and freer from mortal vices. Sharing my testimony with new friends, and learning more about the unique struggles that people of Taiwanese and Chinese heritage have while trying to live the Gospel gave me a greater understanding of the place I live and of the difficulties that face come from our own culture and those that we love.

While in Taiwan I ate some amazing things.  I went to a small night market but had some great things.  There is this egg seafood sort of omelet above.  And to the right is a fish cake soup.  I still don't know exactly what was in this soup.  I asked, but I by that point in the evening I had stopped asking for clarification when I didn't understand and just nodded my head knowingly and joyfully spooned myself some soup and omelet.

As a die hard fan of stinky tofu, I had been told a great deal about the superiority of Taiwan's Stinky Tofu.  On a fateful Saturday evening at a small night market in LuGang, I learned why it is famous.  Stinky Tofu(pictured above right) is deep fried in smaller pieces than in Hong Kong, and served with a cabbage salad on top with the traditional tomato/vinegar slightly spicy sauce that it is served with via impaled sticks in Hong Kong. Above left is a photo of the booth that I bought different types of Cow Tongue Cookies at...don't worry the cookies don't actually have cow tongue in them.  They are just vaguely shaped like cow's tongue.  (btw, if you are open-minded enough cow tongue is actually pretty good when prepared well).  Well, hopefully I will make it back to Taiwan soon, especially since now...HK stinky tofu just makes me miss Taiwan even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment