Monday, December 20, 2010

Coming Home

So last night my plane arrived in Hong Kong.
I was supposed to stay the night at the airport Marriott, but my Mom accidentally made the reservation at the Novotel, and I didn't have anyway of contacting her, or knowing that so I rushed to get the last coach to the HuangGang port border.
I started coughing as my lungs inhaled the polluted south China air.
As I entered China I had to haul my Christmas present laden luggage across a pedestrian bridge, with gypsy cab drivers and "luggage helpers" bothering me, pulling on my clothes and luggage. I finally make it to the taxi queue and turn around as I see a kid trying to nick something out of my hand bag.
I get in the taxi, tell the driver where to go. I doze off, wake up - not at the right place, give the driver directions to my house, street by street.
Get home, and can't sleep.
But I go to class the next day. I feel right at home...it's hard to believe that 30hrs prior I was in Salt Lake.
I go to lunch with Jade and Letizia, I have the Xin Jiang(Uighur) hand pulled noodles with spicy beef and potatoes that I was craving the whole time I was in America. So, so good.
I go home, and go upstairs to the Ho's(family in our Branch) I play around with their awesome kids awhile, planned Christmas dinner with Elsa. Returned home for an hour nap that lasted almost 5hours.
I woke up to my Dad watching some movie in the living room.
Now I'm awake, thinking that I'm home from home now...such a weird sensation.
I loved being back and seeing everyone, it felt natural and right. But it was the strangest feeling, that it wasn't home anymore, even though it was full of people I love and miss. My home is far away in another place now.
Maybe it's because I've moved so much.
Maybe it's destiny.
But at least for right now, I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment