Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hong Kong Take 2


So I've been to Hong Kong a couple of times now and I've done some shopping.
Hong is a crowded messy and civilized place. It is a mountainous concrete jungle surrounded by actual jungle mountains.
High rise apartments and office buildings back-dropped by green Mountains and smashed together between the sea and the Chinese.
Where I live(Shenzhen) just barely north, it takes 10min to get to the Hong Kong border from my apartment via taxi. Shenzhen is much cleaner, newer shinier and orderly. Hong Kong is this remnant of the British Empire and still has a definitely post-Imperial vibe to it. There are metro stations called Prince Edward sandwiched between Shek Kip Mei and Mong Kok station.
Near these stations is a vast open air market that spans for many blocks. My Mom and I went shopping for prizes for the English students, and watches and scarves. I also introduced my mother to Milk Tea.
Right by this bustling dirty open air market is an upscale mall with designer stores and restaurants...like Starbucks and a Crepe Cafe. This really is the essence of Hong Kong, they are a progressive sphere right next to a world super power and enjoy freedoms that few of their Mandarin speaking comrades to the north do. In Hong Kong I can shop at The Body Shop, use Free Wi-Fi to get on Facebook, YouTube and many other blocked mainland sites while ordering a sandwich made on real bread. China is a lot more capitalist than many in the West realize, they have a history of Capitalism, especially on the coast - they are naturally entrepreneurial and very resourceful.
While my Mom and I were looking for the Church's Distribution Center in Hong Kong we got very lost and found a turtle pond in the middle of a courtyard. It was bustling with turtles and I snapped some photos of the pond and some signs that were posted by it. Seriously, Asians are the inventors of cute.


1 comment:

  1. "Seriously, Asians are the inventors of cute."

    haha so true. there are so many asians here at byuh and they often write similar things.

    ReplyDelete