Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Great Dread





So, I had been planning on just cutting my hair into a pixie cut before the move to China because the weather there is humid and rainy and I didn't want to have to fight with my naturally curly frizzy hair. However it occurred to me a few weeks ago that I could possibly do dreadlocks, maintaining the length of my hair but without the curly/frizzy threat. So last week I test-drove some temporary dreads and I liked them enough, so I approached my wonderful creative hairdresser Maranda about giving me dreads and she was quite keen on the idea and we set an appointment. Today was that day. I am now the proud owner of a head of well back-combed dreads. Maranda did a fabulous job. Not gonna lie though, it hurt, seriously hurt.
Currently there is a Side-Show Bob effect, the dreads take a little time to settle - and until then I'm going to be sporting some bandanas to control the madness.

11 comments:

  1. ummm hi! you're crazy, i'm jealous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch... I bet that did hurt a lot! I can't wait to see them after they have relaxed into themselves a bit :)

    (Remember me? It's Chrissy from Newport, i.e. a million years a go.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool. i too am blessed (cursed?) with naturally curly frizzy hair, and i have thought about dreads over the years but never done them. you made the right call. chinese hairdressers don't have the slightest idea how to cut curly hair, even if they assure you they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey, I love you. I hate the dreads and I also have curly hair and survived in China just fine without nasty disgusting clumps of hair on my head. But I do love you and I like the bandanna thing going on. Do you have plans to go to the temple with those before you leave? Are you done working there yet, because I'd love to hear about that reaction :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Maranda got a chance to do dreads on somebody - otherwise all that time she spent in the south last summer would have been completely wasted. Plus you look awesomely rock and roll with that bandana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dreads Kitz! Rock for 'em as long as you want. They are mentioned in the bible as well :) --Grant

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you had a blog! Hooray! I love the dreads! I've always kind of wanted some, way to do it! (And that just looked like a whole-lotta exclamation points. There just no in between a period and an exclamation point punctuation. Unless I added multiple exclamation points, but that looks cheesy...) Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaand, I just saw there are two posts. So I'm not as far behind as I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you Kitz, and I love those dreads! I've always been hesitant with your hair ideas, ever since I've met you, but then ended up loving all of them. With dreads though I was excited from the beginning and I'm sure will be towards the very end :) Kisses girly! Travel safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time for a new post Kitz!!! <3

    ReplyDelete