Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Gogumabap

I know it's been um....many months.  But I traveled Europe this summer (more about the amazing food I ate there later).  I also moved to Beijing, volunteered at the Tour of Beijing and started a new job.  So I've been busy.  But I have also been collecting more inspiration!
While traveling Europe I came across fantastic food and even more fantastic people.
I'd like to re-inaugurate my blog with a dish that I have been wanting to cook for awhile, and with Winter starting to set in here in Beijing it's just the ticket for filling your stomach with exactly what your body needs!
Gogumabap is Korean Sweet Potato Rice.  Goguma is a sweet potato and bap is rice.  I love sweet potatoes and they are a great source of vitamin A and can be found in most countries and climates in one for or another, as can rice.  They keep well and taste fantastic, so look forward to possibly seeing more sweet potatoes as the winter months progress.
I made this a few nights ago with the intent of eating it for lunch at work the next day.  So I didn't put the whole deal together right away - but let me tell you, when I fully assembled everything at work, it was absolutely delicious.
Serving for two

1 cup of short grain brown rice(short grain is important)
450g or 1lb washed peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
fresh water cress with shortened stems(you can grow this easily in your kitchen window, even in winter)

1/4 cup soy sauce (if you are picky, I recommend going to your local Asian market and getting a good Dark Soy Sauce - it really tastes so much better than Kikkoman)
2 Tblspn Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup of finely chopped asian chives, green onions can be substituted
1 Tblspn toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp Honey
1 clove of finely minced garlic
1 tsp of Korean chili pepper flakes, if you don't want to go to the Asian grocer, take regular whole chili flakes and chop them finely

wash the rice 3 times or so, until the water rinses clean.  set the rice with one cup of water in a thick bottomed pot - or a stone one if you have that lying around.  let the rice soak for 30 minutes while you prepared the potatoes.
place the potato cubes in the pot with the rice, put on high heat until it comes to a boil - and let it cook for about 15min, then turn the rice and potatoes over and cook for an additional 15-20min until the rice and potatoes are cooked fully
remove from heat - let cool slightly



While the rice is cooking, make the sauce.

serve into bowls & place water cress on top with 1/2 the sauce in each serving.  Mix - enjoy! Don't forget to have some kimchi on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment